Thanks to the vision of the late Edward Roberson, M.D., (fondly known as Dr. Ed), Houston Northwest Medical Center has been caring for the northwest Houston community since 1973. His dedication helped turn 60 acres of farmland into a thriving source of quality health care.
Dr. Ed brought an impressive background to Houston Northwest Medical Center. He flew with the Twentieth Air Force in the South Pacific and Japan during World War II. In 1952, he earned his degree in medicine from the University of Arkansas. After completing medical school, Dr. Ed became a captain in the Air Force and served as a flight surgeon during the Korean War.
In 1957, Dr. Ed opened a general practice on the east side of Houston. Fourteen years later, he and several partners took the bold step to buy land near the corner of Jackrabbit Road and Interstate Highway 45 to build the area’s first hospital. He had the vision even then to know that this area would grow and prosper to become an active Houston suburb.
He was once quoted as saying, "When we selected the land, we were surrounded by farmland and cow pastures. But after opening Houston Northwest Medical Center in 1973, the population grew faster than imagined and demand for our hospital exceeded expectations." In fact, Dr. Ed used to laugh about how he, his partners and their wives had to vacuum the hospital the day before it opened because they didn’t have enough housekeepers. Dr. Ed was proud to see the community and his hospital continue to grow over the years. He served as chairman of the board until his passing in August 2005.
Dr. Ed was a beloved member of the Houston Northwest Medical Center family. He will be missed, but his legacy lives on every day in the lives of the doctors, nurses, staff and patients who rely on Houston Northwest Medical Center.