What to Bring/What NOT to Bring
Packing for Your Hospital Stay
If you’ll be staying at Houston Northwest Medical Center, you can be assured we’ll do everything we can to take care of your basic needs, such as food, toiletries and hospital gowns. Here are some of the other items you may wish to bring with you, and what you may wish to leave at home.
Items to Bring with You
Here we’ve put together a short list of essentials you need to bring with you:
- Your health insurance card and your spouse’s, if applicable
- All insurance forms and paperwork, such as pre-authorizations
- Valid driver’s license, state identification card or passport
- Advance directive documents if you have them
- All medications you’re currently taking, in original containers
- Any outside lab test results and pertinent X-rays not taken at our hospital
- Personal hygiene items, such as comb/brush, deodorant, toothpaste, toothbrush and other toiletries you may need
- Clothing for your stay in the hospital and discharge
- Eyeglasses or hearing aid
- Reading and writing materials, and other personal items you’ll want during your stay
- If desired, cash to pay for newspapers, gift shop articles and other items (more than $20 isn’t recommended)
- Credit card number and expiration date (but not the physical credit card)
If you or your loved one will be going to the intensive care or coronary care unit, please limit personal items to those that are absolutely necessary, such as a robe, eyeglasses, hearing aid or other prosthetics.
If you forget any of these items, please ask your nurse for assistance. You may ask a family member to bring the item from home.
What Not to Bring
These items should be left home when you arrive for your stay:
- Credit cards
- More than $20 in cash
- Electrical appliances, such as TVs and radios
- Cigarettes, alcohol or illegal drugs
If you have any questions about your upcoming stay, call us at (281) 440-1000.