Adjustable Gastric Band
The FDA recently approved the expansion of the use of the LAP-BAND® for people with a BMI of 30 to 40 and at least one co-morbid condition.
Now, with the less restrictive requirements approved by the FDA, approximately 37 million Americans who have a BMI of 30 to 40 and at least one co-morbid condition can have weight loss surgery. The FDA’s action highlights obesity as a growing health epidemic in the United States and the need for additional effective treatment options.
The LAP-BAND® Adjustable Gastric Banding System involves placing a silicone elastomer band around the upper part of the stomach to create a small pouch that holds limited amounts of food. When accompanied by dietary and lifestyle changes, the LAP-BAND® Adjustable Gastric Banding System may promote lifelong weight loss.
- minimally invasive, adjustable and reversible
- requires no cutting or stapling of the stomach
- quicker recovery — patients may resume normal activities within one to two weeks
To be considered for the LAP-BAND® Adjustable Gastric Banding System, you need to meet the following criteria:
- be at least 18 years old.
- have a BMI of 30 to 40 with at least one co-morbidity condition or be 100 pounds or more
- have been overweight for at least five years.
- made serious attempts to lower weight that have had little or no success.
- not suffering from any other disease which could have affected your weight.
- be prepared to make substantial dietary and lifestyle changes.
- not drink alcohol in excess.
There are risks and complications, including death, associated with all major surgical procedures.
Although the laparoscopic technique used with the LAP-BAND® Adjustable Gastric Banding System is considered minimally invasive, it is still a surgical procedure and severe obesity increases the risks.
Please contact Houston Northwest Medical Center at (281) 587-3300 if you would like to learn more about the LAP-BAND® Adjustable Gastric Banding System.
LAP-BAND® is a registered trademark of allergan, inc.